Circular No.ES/156/2018-19 August 10, 2018
To: Members of the Council
Sub.: Government E-Marketplace (Gem) Completes 2 Years Ton 9th August, 2018; Grosses over Rs. 10,000 crore in GMV through more than 6.16 lakh Transactions
We would like to inform you that Ministry of Commerce and Industry has issued a Press Release regarding Government e-Marketplace (GeM), the National Public Procurement Portal.
About Government e-Marketplace (GeM)
- It is a one stop to facilitate online procurement of common use Goods & Services required by various Government Departments / Organizations / PSUs.
- It’s objective is to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
- It provides the tools of e-bidding, reverse e-auction and demand aggregation to facilitate the government users, achieve the best value for their money.
- It has completed 2 years on 9th August, 2018.
- It was launched on 9th August 2016.
- It is an end-to-end, one stop online marketplace for Central and State Government Ministries and Departments, Central & State Public Sector Undertakings (CPSUs & SPSUs), autonomous institutions and local bodies for procurement of common use Goods & Services.
GeM has achieved the following significant milestones-
- Grossed over Rs. 10,000 Crores in Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) through more than 6.16 Lacs transactions on the platform.
- Made over 4.2 lakh products available on its platform through a network of over 1.3 lakh sellers and service providers.
- These products and services are being bought by over 25,000 government organisations (Central, State Governments and PSUs) registered on the platform.
- More than 40% of transactions by volume are done with MSMEs registered on the platform.
- Buyers from across 36 States & Union Territories (UTs) are buying on the platform. 24 States & UTs have signed a formal MoU with GeM to adopt GeM as the core procurement portal in their respective territories.
- Average savings of 25% achieved across transactions on the platform.
- Integration with Aadhaar, Udyog Aadhaar, Ministry of Corporate Affairs21 (MCA21), Public Financial Management System (PFMS) , PAN, GSTN, Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA) and Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) empaneled rating agencies for robust registration process.
- Training of over 40 thousand buyers and sellers has been conducted across 28 States & UTs to enable them to seamlessly operate the platform.
- MoUs have been signed with 8 banks for payment integration (State GeM Pool Account-SGPA, Electronic Performance Bank Guarantee-ePBG, Electronic Earnest Money Deposit-eEMD) to facilitate a cashless contactless and paperless payments system on the platform.
- MoU signed with MSME ministry, Common Service Centers (CSC) and industrial associations (Confederation of Indian Industry-CII, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry-FICCI, PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry, IIA) for facilitating training, capacity building and onboarding of manufactures and vendors across the country.
- Integration with Quality Council of India (QCI) for ensuring quality compliances of the products and services offered through GeM.
The platform supports many best-in-class features and functionalities to encourage and support buyers and sellers. Some of these include:
- Robust catalogue management with well-defined data types for standardized seller and buyer experience.
- Improved, powerful search engine with advanced filters and functionalities for seamless discovery and enabling procurement policy related guidelines.
- Multisource, real time price comparison to enable informed decision making through price discovery for buyers.
- Multi-cart functionality and market based bunching of products to enable time efficient buying.
- Support for multiple languages to enhance openness and usability of the platform.
- Advanced analytics to improve availability of rich, automated information.
- Integration of demand aggregation to enable realization of greater savings for buyers.
- Ratings for sellers and buyers based on performance on GeM portal.
- Bunching of products to enable buyers to make easy & seamless procurement.
- State Government Pool Account (SGPA) is opened and operationalized by Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. Chhattisgarh and Himachal Pradesh have notified SGPA and are in the process of opening accounts.
- Customized dashboards created and communicated to all senior officers in Government of India (Secretary and Additional Secretary &Financial Advisor/Joint Secretary & Financial Advisor) and State Governments.
- Rich BI using advanced analytical tools available to all GeM users.
- Bids for services now enabled on the platform.
- Automation of exemptions provided for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), Startups through integration with Udyog Aadhar/Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion.
This is for your information.