Circular No. ES/102/2020-21 3rd May, 2020
To : Members of the Council
Sub : Commerce Minister, Shri Piyush Goyal calls upon the Indian Missions abroad to promote India as Investment destination
According to a Press Release dated 1st May, 2020, issued by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, the Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways Shri Piyush Goyal called upon the Indian Missions abroad to play an important role in identification of opportunities for Indian business and export, existing in their countries, and making India a preferred destination, a reliable destination for investment.
The Minister, along with the External Affairs Minister Shri S. Jaishankar interacted with 131 missions from different geographies last evening through Video conferencing. Following were the points of discussion with the Indian Missions abroad –
- All should work to convert this COVID-19 situation into an opportunity by coming up with new reforms to improve our industries
- Should aim for an economic growth higher by 3x.
- Discussion have happened at the highest levels where clear instructions have been given to capture the opportunities opening after the Post-Covid scenario.
- Around 100 countries have benefited from Indian Pharma and all nations are searching for countries which have a democracy, transparent dealing, vibrant rule of law, good media, and is reliable and trustworthy.
- Indian missions should be helping us with identification of business opportunities that exist in their countries.
- Invest India and Department for Promotion of Investment and Internal Trade (DPIIT) are working together to create a genuine single window for setting up factories & manufacturing units.
- The missions should report the opportunities in other countries since promoting trade & investment is a shared responsibility of missions & ministries.
- All the missions should send a proposal to look at the opportunity Post Covid-19.
- The proposal should have Innovative ideas and should be submitted, containing suggestions to improve the exports.
- The Missions need to start networking, start communicating with the companies, come up with the business leads and new contacts, and identify technology which can be implemented in India and fight for India in their countries.
- As all the countries have taken a hit, the recovery path for India will be through trade and investment so now missions have to take responsibility to get out of their offices, do networking, talk to companies and persuade them to invest in the India.
- The missions should be proactive not only in foreign countries but in India also and should work in tandem with the ministries back home.
Members may please make a note of the above.