Circular No.ES/298/2017-18 February 17, 2018
To: Members of the Council
Sub: Maharashtra launches New Textile Policy 2018-2023
The Council is glad to inform you that the new textile policy of Maharashtra was unveiled by Honourable Chief Minister Shri Devendra Fadnavis recently.
The main features of the New Textile Policy 2018-23 is as follow :
- The policy aims to create over 10 lakh jobs in the next five years
- With several investor friendly benefits especially in terms of power subsidies, it is expected that textile sector would attract worth INR 36,000 crore during this period.
- There would be emphasis on reviving the garment, knitting and hosiery sector, which would benefit the women who form a major part of workers in the state.
- The policy initiatives aim to strengthen the cotton sector and rejuvenate the silk & wool sector.
- The highlight of the policy is the innovative approach to promote non-conventional yarn and green energy in the textile sector.
- A holistic approach was observed while drafting the policy wherein skill development and R&D has been given priority.
- Under this, state plans to come up with its first textile university and set-up world class R&D units within state agriculture universities in collaboration with various Centre of Excellences across the country.
- It is the first time, Textile Department is looking at strengthening the finances of the textile sector by creating a “Textile Development Fund” which would provide better infrastructure and development of the sector.
The Highlights of the Textile Policy 2018-23 for the Maharashtra State are enclosed for your information and reference.
The Government Resolution in this regard is yet to be issued.
Members may please make a note of the above.